May 04 2024
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
redbeardbike  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 7:19:11 AM(UTC)
redbeardbike

Has anyone ever been up here? Tonight I went to Mortimer's for some pickups. Mort's has 4 well lit Tornado coin-ops and a 5th in the back for busy nights.

The level of play was spectacular. The speed and execution was beyond what I was expecting. I think that most of the local players here would give any of the top Fat Cat players a good run. It helps when the crowd is mostly in their 50s and 60s. I've only been coming to Fat Cat's for a couple months, but I've been able to occasionally stop some good pulls and rollovers. Tonight, I couldn't even make them pause. It was absurd. Deadman pulls and rollovers were standard. And push kicks from the back rang loud.

Surprisingly I was able to compete on my 5 bar. I've been practicing my passing the last couple weeks and it paid off. I got the ball on my 3 several times. Still couldn't score on a 60 year old woman who just came up from Florida for a few days though. But I did get through, former world and national champion, Dave Gummeson's 5-bar several times and I made him work for each pass he got through me.

Dave's long pull and back pin were completely unstoppable. But it was a good time to get my ass kicked for 3 hours.

ilya

The front of bar setup:
http://tinyurl.com/zzdj9fp
That big dude in blue had the nastiest rollover. Deadman push or pull. He dominated with that shot until he got tired.

Edited by user Saturday, February 27, 2016 7:23:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

victor  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 12:38:41 PM(UTC)
victor

Nice report Ilya!

Matt Groth from there stayed in NY for extended periods of time so I'm familiar with the players. Getting to play with Gummison must have been a treat.

Guy in blue I believe is Bill Winchester. Nice guy.
kev  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:18:01 PM(UTC)
kev

Got my ass handed to me on a Friday at Fat Cat by a Minnesotan almost a year ago.

Of course I'm a beginner, but I wasn't the only one who got served either.. Guy beat all the regulars a couple of times (with a sick pull) and finally got bored/lost 5-4.

Pretty sure it was the Asian guy in your photo Ilya!
Go long or go home.